In 2015, PEBC’s Boettcher Teacher Residency united with Stanley Teacher Prep to create Colorado’s largest and most effective teacher residency model. Better together, the combined residency sets a new national standard for teacher preparation.
Teachers in public schools serving high numbers of low-income, culturally and racially diverse students are frequently under-qualified, under-prepared and under-supported. In fact, about one-third of new teachers leave the profession after just three years, and about half leave within five years, often citing a lack of practical preparation and on-the-job mentoring. And teachers are more likely to leave high-poverty schools-where there is the greatest need for quality teachers.
The Boettcher Teacher Residency (BTR) recruits and trains individuals to become exceptional teachers by providing an intensive and supportive teacher training program which combines licensure coursework with hands-on learning in a K-12 classroom.
Similar to the medical residency model, BTR combines theory with a year-long apprenticeship under the guidance of an experienced and skilled Mentor Teacher who provides feedback and coaching. Residents are specially trained and endorsed to work with culturally and linguistically diverse students.
The Boettcher Teacher Residency Program offers:
- Colorado Teacher’s License (alternative licensure) from the Colorado Department of Education
- An apprenticeship in a K-12 classroom, with the opportunity to learn from a highly-effective Mentor Teacher four days/week for an entire school year
- A residency scholarship
- A collaborative cohort of learners and a comprehensive five-year program that integrates exceptional academic preparation and practical teaching experience
- An intentional focus on equity and supporting diverse learners
- Five years of professional development as you start your teaching career
- Connect to a network of hundreds of alumni, mentors, and staff developers throughout Colorado and the US
- Priority hiring for teaching positions at partner schools for Residents who successfully complete the program
Train in one of the areas listed below for one year, then teach in Colorado for 4 years (or more!).