Frequently Asked Questions

Please read carefully through these FAQs. Click on the questions to view answers. If you have additional questions that have not been answered here, please contact the Boettcher Teacher Residency at [email protected] or call 303-861-8661.

Applicant Fit

How do I know if I am a good fit for this teacher residency program?

Please read carefully the detailed information throughout this website for a full understanding of the content of the Boettcher Teacher Residency. In particular, be sure and examine the Eligibility Requirements section. We are seeking highly motivated and high achieving people whose life experiences have sparked in them a strong passion and drive to teach in high priority schools in Colorado, to make a difference in communities, and to work relentlessly for equity. If you satisfy the majority of the criteria, we encourage you to apply. The selection process will be highly competitive.

Why should I choose the Boettcher Teacher Residency program over others in the area?

There are many residency programs throughout the United States, and even several in the Denver Metro area.

What distinguishes the Boettcher Teacher Residency program from others is:

  • Opportunity to work in a variety of Colorado public and private schools.  Resident teachers that have graduated are working in over twenty different school districts in the Denver Metro area, Colorado and throughout the US.
  • Affiliation with PEBC – a premier educator professional development organization, highly-respected by educators
  • Opportunity to learn and grow with a small and dedicated cohort group, in a warm, supportive and nurturing environment

Master’s Degree

Is special education an option? Can I get certified in special education through this program?

Yes, special education is offered through our program. It is a shortage area for most districts around the country. Coursework through the Boettcher Teacher Residency will prepare participants to work with special education students in our partner districts. People interested in becoming licensed in special education can complete the appropriate courses and training through the Boettcher Teacher Residency.

My desired area of licensure is not in a “high-needs” area, such as math, science, or bilingual elementary education. Should I still apply?

For those without Spanish speaking skills and who possess a more liberal arts based background (that better fits the area of non-bilingual elementary), do not be discouraged from applying. At the same time, it is true that we are highly interested in candidates whose academic backgrounds/experiences qualify them to teach in certain shortage areas that the districts are facing. This includes bilingual elementary, secondary math and science, and special education. Our program is very unique in that we were designed to fill the needs of our partner districts. If you intend to apply as a candidate for a non “high needs” area, it is important to recognize that the competition will be strong, as you would be competing for a limited number of positions. However, please note, we do examine a variety of qualifications in each of our applicants. We also seek to take candidates with diverse backgrounds/lived experiences, those highly motivated to teach in lower-income areas, and those committed to promoting and advancing the goal of educational and social equity for all children. Examine your own experiences, academic background, and personal beliefs about education to determine your qualifications to teach. Through our extensive application process, there are a variety of ways to demonstrate your commitment to teaching and education as well as indicate any unique qualifications you feel prepare you to teach in a high-needs school district through the Boettcher Teacher Residency.

What degree do Boettcher Residents Earn?

The degree is a Master of Education with Endorsement in Cultural & Linguistically Diverse Education from Adams State University

What is the schedule of courses like?

During the residency, participants take a total of 36 semester hours of graduate course work, leading to both the initial teaching license and the master’s degree. The combination of the course work and the teaching residency prepares participants to meet (and exceed) the Performance Based Standards for Colorado Teachers by the end of Year 1. In addition, the master’s course work is designed to develop in participants the skills and dispositions of teacher researchers, teacher leaders, and social change agents in high priority schools.

Residents will participate in bi-weekly seminars (typically), as well as an additional evening course that meets every other week in-person and consists of an online component the opposite week. Occasionally, class sessions may meet on Saturdays.  In Year 2 participants will finish the remaining 12 credits to complete the master’s degree.

Where are the master’s classes held?

For residents in the San Luis Valley classes are held at Adams State University.  For residents in Denver Metro, Southwest, Southeast, and Northwest classes are held at districts located in each region with adjunct faculty.

Teaching Experience

Can I participate only in the licensure part of the Boettcher Teacher Residency, without seeking a teaching license?

No. This is a joint licensure and master’s program, and all of the courses taken together create a coherent educational experience, preparing participants for both the license and the master’s degree.

I am currently a teacher and have been a teacher for several years now. Do you have tracks that would be good for someone interested in getting a master’s degree and working in the types of urban situations that are described in the website?

Our residency program is primarily designed for novice teachers; those who are just about to enter the field of teaching for the first time. We offer a master’s-only (M.Ed in Adaptive Leadership) track for experienced teachers (minimum 3-5 years experience). Click here to learn more.

I don’t have any teaching experience. Can I participate?

Yes.  Although teaching experience is not required, we will inquire about your previous experiences with groups of children or in service-related endeavors during the interviews.  These experiences will be considered as part of our final selection process.

I have experience teaching in environments (such as private schools) in which I have not needed a teaching license. I am now interested in getting licensed and working in high priority schools. Can I participate?

If you have the academic qualifications to become licensed in a shortage subject area in our partner districts, we encourage you to apply. Just keep in mind that you will be sharing a classroom with a mentor teacher for a full year, and that it might be difficult to give up control and not be the one in charge, after having run your own classroom for some time.

What if I already have a teaching license or have completed a teacher preparation program? Can I participate in this program? Is there any way to waive some of the academic course work applied towards receiving my license?

Even if you have already completed a teacher preparation program, you are eligible to participate.  Being a Boettcher Resident will allow you to participate in an intensive, mentored teaching residency in an urban or rural school while completing your master’s degree through our tuition-supported program.  Some of the course work may be redundant for you, but you will be able to develop a deeper skill set and knowledge base for successful teaching in urban and rural settings.  Regardless if you have taken previous education course work, all Residents need to complete the entire pre-set curriculum along with their cohort.  Although we could not waive any of the courses for you, our faculty would definitely provide you with specific training and the attention needed to address content areas or personal skills which you would may wish to improve upon.

Application Elements and Process

Do I have to take the GRE or MAT?

The GRE or MAT is not required. You will need to take and pass the Praxis II or PLACE content exam in your chosen subject area prior to June 1.

Do I have to take the PLACE or Praxis II exams, or the GRE or MAT, before submitting my application?

No. You can submit your application before taking the PLACE or Praxis II. The GRE or MAT is not required.

However, you will need to have passed the PLACE or Praxis II content exam prior to June 1 in order to begin the program. The sooner you can sign up for and take the exam, the better.

How do I know if I should take the Test of English as a Foreign Language?

If you do not have a degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction, in addition to the PLACE or Praxis II content exams, the TOEFL or IELTS is required for international applicants who do not have a degree from an accredited English-speaking university.

How do I register for the Praxis II exam and when are the test dates?

To register for the Praxis II exam and for any specific test questions, visit http:/www.ets.org/praxis   Praxis II is the acceptable exam in Colorado and for licensure through the Boettcher Teacher Residency in the following areas: Elementary Education, English, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.


Am I eligible for loan forgiveness?

Some residents may come to the Boettcher Teacher Residency with existing student loans, or may choose to borrow federal student loans while earning their Master’s Degree.   Individuals who teach full-time for five consecutive, complete academic years (following the residency training year) in high-poverty schools may be eligible for federal student loan forgiveness.  Math, science, and special education teachers are eligible for up to $17,500 of loan forgiveness; teachers of other subjects are eligible for up to $5,000.  Learn More.

At what point will I be offered a full teaching salary?

Upon successful completion of the teaching residency year (Year 1), Residents must apply for full-time salaried positions within partnering school districts. The actual teacher salaries offered vary by school district and are determined based upon number of years of teaching experience and number of credits earned towards a higher degree (beyond the bachelor’s). To see school district pay scales, visit the HR sections of the district websites.

Does the program offer health benefits?

Boettcher Teacher Residents do not receive health coverage as part of the program.  Residents will have to select and pay for their own health coverage during the residency year.

What are the financial benefits? How much does it cost to participate? How do the finances work?

The following includes the total financial obligation of a resident to the program. Residents are invoiced each semester during their 12 month residency year, as well as the fall semester of the second year in the program for a grand total of 18 months. For a visual representation, click here.

Financial Support:

Adams State University Tuition – Residents are invoiced $12,160 for tuition.

Boettcher Teacher Residency Program fees – Residents are invoiced $4,000 for program fees (This includes a $500 non-refundable program deposit due within 30 days of a candidates acceptance)


Adams State University tuition scholarship – $3,600 ($100/credit hour)

Boettcher Teacher Residency program scholarship – $5,000

Additional Financial Information:
Residents are also encouraged to apply for federal loans to assist with living expenses. In general, participants may qualify for up to $20,000 per year in graduate student loans. Students must file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to qualify. The application is available on-line at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.

For more information about how the finances work, please contact a member of our recruitment team at [email protected].

When does the program begin?

The full-time program begins in July each year with an intensive Summer Institute.

Will I be able to work another job while doing the classroom teaching residency as a Boettcher Resident?

Participating in this very intense program is like working full-time while attending graduate school full-time, so it is highly unlikely that you will have time to work another job. Some classes will take place after school, in the evenings, and in some cases on weekends, and you will have ongoing assignments to complete, so your free time will be very limited during the first year.

School Districts and Schools

At which schools will Boettcher Residents be placed to do their teaching residency?

For the 2016-2017 school year, our training site schools are located in the following districts:

Metro Denver
Aurora Public Schools
Adams 12 Five Star Schools
Brighton School District 27J
Denver Public Schools
Douglas County School District
Englewood Schools
Jeffco Public Schools
Mapleton Public Schools

San Luis Valley
Alamosa School District RE-11J
Centennial School District R-1
Center Consolidated School District 26JT
Moffat Consolidated School District 2
Monte Vista School District
North Conejos School District RE-1J
South Conejos School District
Sierra Grande School District R-30

Southwest Colorado
Archuleta School District #50 JT (Pagosa)
Dolores County School District RE-2J
Durango School District 9-R
Ignacio School District 11-JT
Montezuma-Cortez School District RE-1

Southeast Colorado
Crowley County School District RE-1-J
East Otero School District R-1
Rocky Ford School District R-2

Northeast Colorado
Akron R-1 School District
Buffalo School District RE-4J (Merino)
Frenchman School District RE-3 (Fleming)
Haxtun School District RE-2J
Holyoke School District RE-1J
Julesburg School District RE-1
Lone Star School District #101
Otis School District R-3
Peetz Plateau School District RE-5
Revere School District
Wray School District RD-2
Yuma School District-1

How many people will be accepted?

We anticipate selecting 90 Residents. Every year, approximately half of the cohort is comprised of elementary education residents and the other half is comprised of secondary residents (divided among the subject areas of math, science, English, and social studies). We will also have a select number of residents in Special Education (K-12) as well as Early Childhood Education.

In what schools do I need to teach in order to fulfill the service agreement?

Residents are expected to fulfill their service agreement by staying in the field of education for a minimum of three years.

What is an “alternative licensure” program?

In 1991, the Colorado State Board of Education adopted policies to create alternative licensure programs, through which candidates become licensed as teachers through site-based programs of professional preparation and classroom supervision. Alternative teacher licensure programs are developed and operated by schools or districts, boards of cooperative services, institutes of higher education, or a combination of these groups. The Public Education & Business Coalition is the program’s designated agency of Alternative Licensure. The initial teaching license that candidates receive is the same license that students receive who go through a university-based program.


I am an experienced educator and am very interested in the goals of this program. What other ways exist for me to get involved?

Mentoring: If you would like to serve as a classroom mentor for Boettcher Residents, you will need to apply for a teaching position in one of our partner districts, secure a position in a core subject area for which we will select residents, and then be nominated by your principal to be a Boettcher Mentor. If you are already a classroom teacher in one of the Boettcher partner school districts, contact your principal.

What professional development support and recognition will be provided to Boettcher Mentors?

Ongoing professional dialogue with Faculty, monthly Mentor Seminars, facilitated observations of other teachers, financial recognition, and support for external professional learning experiences such as conferences or National Board Certification, and recognition at special events.

If you have additional questions that have not been answered here, please contact Admissions at [email protected] or 303-861-8661.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons