Who should apply to the Colorado Boettcher Teacher Residency?
- Anyone interested in teaching low-income students
- Individuals interested in a rigorous and supportive teacher residency program
- College seniors and recent graduates who want to settle in Denver or the San Luis Valley
- Professionals looking to make a career change to teaching
Entrance into the Colorado Boettcher Teacher Residency program is available to both education and non-education college graduates.
To apply to the 2013/14 Colorado Boettcher Teacher Residency Program, applicants must:
- Earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by the end of June 2013
- Have maintained a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher*
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or able to work legally in the U.S.
- Have proficiency in English at the graduate school level
*Individuals with a GPA below 2.75 may apply, but must include a written explanation of the circumstances that contributed to a lower GPA in order to be considered.
Candidates who have already completed a teacher preparation program, or who already have teaching licenses ARE encouraged to apply to the program. This is an opportunity to engage in a specialized, mentored teaching residency focusing on the skills, knowledge, and dispositions needed for highly-successful teaching.
Additional Eligibility Requirements include:
- Have a Statement of Eligibility (SOE), or an Initial License from the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) in Elementary Education (K-6), or Secondary Mathematics, Secondary Science or Secondary English
- Be academically qualified (by June) in the licensure area sought, based upon the Colorado Department of Education subject area requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure (visit http://www.cde.state.co.us for more information) or possess a current State of Colorado Initial Teaching License.
- Pass the teacher content knowledge exam (either the PLACE or Praxis II) for the type of license you seek (please see exam number below)
*Note: For this program both the academic course work for licensure and content exam are required.