Step 1: The Boettcher Teacher Residency
Applicants must submit an online application for the Boettcher Teacher Residency. There are a limited number of applicants accepted into the Residency program each year. Candidates will be considered until the program is full for the upcoming school year.
Please send one packet of hard copies of the following items to the Boettcher Teacher Residency Office, 600 Grant Street Ste 525, Denver, CO 80203. The items are:
- Praxis II/PLACE a copy of your score report (unofficial)
- Statement of purpose and essay
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Copy of CDE statement of eligibility or initial license
- Official Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended
- Two current letters of recommendation written on letterhead specifically addressing the area in which the student wishes to be admitted, speaking to the candidate’s strengths and potential
- Copy of completed Release of Education Records form for Adams State (San Luis Valley)
- Adams State University graduate program application
Step 2: Colorado Department of Education – Educator Licensing
CBI Fingerprint card
Submit the CDE-approved fingerprint card directly to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) with a $39.50 money order or certified check made payable to CBI. The fingerprint card CDE uses is a standard, 8 inch by eight inch square FBI card marked “Applicant” in the upper left corner and should be available at any law enforcement agency. The fingerprints can be taken at any law enforcement agency across the country or at an embassy in a foreign country.
Statement of Eligibility Application
Submit the CDE Statement of Eligibility (SOE) application for the Alternative Teacher License Process. Upon approval, you will receive your Statement of Eligibility (SOE) via email from the Colorado Department of Education.
Request official test scores to be sent directly to the Colorado Department of Education (agency code 7040) by the appropriate testing services. Below is a list of the approved exams for licensure in Colorado:
#01 – Elementary Education
#04 – Math
#05 – Science
#06 – Social Studies
#07 – English
#0014 or #5014 – Elementary Education: Content Knowledge
#5038 – English Content Knowledge (Prior to 12.31.13, test codes #0041 or #5041 are acceptable)
#5161 – Mathematics: Content Knowledge (Prior to 12.31.13, test codes #0061 or #5061 are acceptable)
#0435 or #5435 – General Science: Content Knowledge
#0081 or #5081 – Social Studies: Content Knowledge
Step 3: Financial Aid application
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. For additional support with financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid office at Adams State University.
- New forms become available January 1 each year.
- Adams State University school code is 001345.
- Be sure to complete an application for 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.